Sunday, June 13, 2010

Our Friday the 13 Vacation

I've been wanting to do this layout for a long time. I would see challenges with lots of journaling and think, I know what I'm going to do, but never did it. Well, this time I finally sat down and wrote it out. It's for week three of "This Scrapper's Got Talent" and even though I didn't make it into week three, I wanted to complete this layout. They wanted at least 200 words, of course mine has over 1,000! Here is the layout, I used Growing Pains Scrapped kit called Serenity and the font is Just One More Picture.


I know you can't read the journaling, but it reads:
Our vacation started out uneventful for the most part.We had two caravans heading down to Alabama. One was from North Carolina and the other from Missouri. There were three cars from NC and I’m not sure if there was one or two from Missouri. Anyway, we were all heading to Alabama to have two 5-generation pictures made.In Mom and Dad’s car, we had Mom and Dad, Kelly and Will, and Brodie in the car seat between Kelly and Will. In our Saturn Vue, we had me and Philip and Jesse and Joey in their car seats. In Jay’s car we had Jay, Cheyenne and Jack in his car seat. From Missouri, we had Josh and Duska with Isaiah in his car seat. I’m not sure if Missy and John were in their own car, or if they rode with Josh and Duska.

We decided to stop and eat. Jay wanted to stop at Pizza Hut since they have a buffet. We all like Pizza, so it sounded like a good deal. We stopped, and of course the buffet had been depleted. So we waited for the next cooking. Of course so was everyone else. We still had nothing. The waitress was great and we ordered pizzas from the menu. This way we got what we wanted and didn’t have any competition. We got out with only paying about $30.00 for all of us because of the problems.

We got the two 5-generation pictures made (Fuver, Mom, Missy, Jay/Josh and Jack/Isaiah.) I stayed home, but some of them came back complaining about everything that happened. I think the pictures turned out great!

When we left to go home, Missy decided she was going to go back with Jay and Cheyenne to spend a little bit of time with them. So our caravan started back. Same set up, just added Missy to Jay and Cheyenne. We stopped outside of Atlanta to find a hotel to spend the night. It was raining, so we were looking for one with an indoor pool. I had my laptop with my air card, so we could connect to the Internet to find one. The only problem was, my battery was dead. So we pulled up close to a gas station and used their electricity to get connected. Me, Kelly, Jay and Daddy, were outside the car learning over the hood. Jay holding the umbrella, so the computer wouldn’t get wet!

We found a Hilton Garden Inn with an indoor pool not too far away. But everyone wanted to look for something cheaper. We kept looking. We spent over an hour trying to find a place with no luck. We finally decided on the Garden Inn. We loaded back in the cars and took off.

After stopping for dinner, we made it to the hotel around 9:30. The pool closed at 10! What, no pool time tonight? I think Jay and Cheyenne went in for a few minutes, but that was it. The other problem, they only had King rooms! Well that worked for me, Philip and Jesse. It worked for Mom and Dad and Joey. It worked for Kelly, Will and Brodie. But it wasn’t going to work for Jay, Cheyenne, Missy and Jack. Oh well, they made it work!

Missy went out and picked up dollar burgers for all of us and we at in our room. We purchased a movie for the kids to watch (Meet the Robinsons.) I’m not sure they watched it, but Will and I enjoyed it. The next morning, Philip and I went out for breakfast. Of course, the order was all wrong! They left off part of the order, didn’t do part of it right! We had to go back! But we were able to make it to the pool that morning.

We left the hotel around noon after spending the morning in the pool. The kids (and adults) loved it. We started back on the road, and every thing was going smoothly. Will was laughing at Daddy and Philip with their Ham Radio. K4CRD this is K4PRG; K4PRG this is K4CRD, and on and on it went.

We got outside of Florence, SC and the transmission went out on the Saturn! What?!?! Thankfully we had AAA so we called them and gave them directions. We were still on I20, with all the cars pulled off the side of the road. We decided to get the kids away, so we took Joey and Jesse and put them in Mom and Dad’s car (no car seats, no nothing!) and sent them off to the next exit. Jay followed in his car. Daddy stayed behind with me and Philip. After we go a hold of AAA, we called Hertz. We would need a car to get home in. So Jay dropped every one off at a KFC and came back for us. I went with Jay to the airport in Florence to get the rental, while Daddy and Philip waited for the tow truck. It took the tow truck forever, since he went down I95 looking for us and we were on I20! Another tow truck stopped to check on us (he wanted the business) when they explained the situation, he was able to get it straighten out. He towed the Saturn to Saturn of Florence and left it there. We put a note on the car for the service department.

We all met back up at the KFC, where Mom, Missy and Cheyenne had to deal with the 4 kids. Cheyenne, being a 1st grade teacher, kept them entertained with books and such. They finally decided that they might as well eat dinner since they were still waiting after an hour.

We had to change the car seats, the DVD player, and the luggage from the Saturn to the rental. Then at 9pm that night, we finally headed home. It was only 4 more hours, but they were some of the longest hours ever. We were all tired and had to work the next morning.

We are taking another trip like this for Fuver’s 90th birthday next month with two additional cars. We are all hoping and praying that it is an uneventful trip.




If you are still with me, I'm impressed. I will let you know how this next trip works out!

No comments: